Innovation and the National Bal Shree award
R Sumukh, of Class IX has once again done the School proud by being selected for the national Bal Shree award. The award is given after a series of tests at a national level camp in Delhi.
His experiment to quickly create a water filter that could be used during floods is most inspiring.
I will just quote Sumukh's words to describe his innovation below.
"I used cola cans, straws, carton boxes, plastic bottle, tissue paper, acidulated sand, cloth pieces, cotton, activated charcoal etc., to create the model. It was an industrial set up to filter flood water in a large scale. I asked the judges to provide me with small amount of sodium hypo chloride. After asking for the details, they gave me chlorine tablets."
"After preparing the flood filter, I wrote a neat sketch of the same labeled it and also described the working of it. Next thing was the creative presentation of the model. I used the carton boxes for display and used them as boards by using sketch pens and making it as colorful as possible. This I finished in the given time of 2 hours. Next was the most scary part of the session – The presentation of my flood filter and facing the viva by the panel of 6 judges!There was no time limit for this as I said earlier.I would like to write few Q’ s fired at me by the judges."
- Why did you choose this topic only?
- How do you say that the model is a life saving one?
- Why can’t you use this model for sea water filtration?
- Which process should be adopted for sea water filtration?
- How could you modify this filter for sea water to be potable water?
- Define filtration and distillation?
- What happens if one drinks distilled water?